Siargao is a small island located in the eastern part of the Philippines. Known as the “Surfing Capital of the Philippines,” Siargao has been attracting surfers from all over the world for decades. However, the island is not just for surfers; it is also an ideal destination for nature lovers, beach bums, and adventurers. If you are planning a trip to Siargao, this travel guide will help you get the most out of your stay.
Siargao is accessible by air and sea. The easiest way to get to Siargao is by taking a direct flight from Manila or Cebu to Siargao’s Sayak Airport. Airlines such as Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines offer daily flights to Siargao. The flight takes around one hour and thirty minutes.
If you prefer to travel by sea, you can take a ferry from Surigao City to Dapa, Siargao. Ferries depart twice a day and take around two hours to reach Siargao.
The best way to explore Siargao is by renting a motorbike or a scooter. Motorbikes and scooters are widely available for rent on the island, and they cost around 350 to 500 pesos per day. If you are not comfortable riding a motorbike, you can also hire a tricycle or a van to take you around the island.
Where to Stay
Siargao offers a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels to luxury villas. If you are on a budget, you can stay in one of the many hostels or guesthouses located in General Luna, Siargao’s main tourist hub. If you are looking for a more luxurious stay, there are many resorts and villas located on the island’s more secluded areas.
Things to Do
- Surfing – Siargao is known for its world-class surf breaks, such as Cloud 9, Jacking Horse, and Stimpy’s. If you are a beginner, you can take surfing lessons from one of the many surf schools located in General Luna.
- Island Hopping – Siargao is surrounded by small islands that offer pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and beautiful coral reefs. You can hire a boat and explore these islands on a day trip.
- Sohoton Cove – Sohoton Cove is a protected area located on the southwest coast of Siargao. The cove is known for its stunning lagoons, caves, and rock formations. You can take a boat tour and explore the area’s natural wonders.
- Magpupungko Rock Pools – Magpupungko Rock Pools is a natural pool formation located in Pilar, Siargao. The rock pools are formed during low tide, and they offer a perfect spot for swimming, cliff jumping, and sunbathing.
- Taktak Falls – Taktak Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in the heart of Siargao. The waterfall is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a perfect spot for a refreshing swim.
Where to Eat
Siargao offers a wide range of dining options, from traditional Filipino cuisine to international dishes. Here are some of the must-try restaurants on the island:
- Shaka Siargao – Shaka Siargao is a popular vegan restaurant that serves delicious smoothie bowls, salads, and sandwiches.
- Mama’s Grill – Mama’s Grill is a popular seafood restaurant located in General Luna. They offer a wide range of grilled seafood dishes at affordable prices.
- Kawayan Siargao Resort – Kawayan Siargao Resort is a luxury resort that offers a fine-dining experience. They serve Filipino and international dishes made from fresh and locally sourced ingredients.
- Harana Surf Resort – Harana Surf Resort is a beachfront resort that offers a restaurant that serves delicious and healthy dishes made from organic ingredients.
- Kermit Siargao – Kermit Siargao is a popular Italian restaurant that serves wood-fired pizzas, pasta, and other Italian dishes. They also offer a wide range of drinks, including craft beers and cocktails.
- Safety Tips
- Siargao is a relatively safe destination, but it is always best to take precautions when traveling. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when visiting Siargao:
- Always wear sunscreen and protective clothing when going to the beach.
- Keep your valuables safe and secure, and never leave them unattended.
- Be cautious when riding a motorbike or scooter, and always wear a helmet.
- Respect the environment and the local culture.
- Be mindful of the weather and always check for updates before going on any outdoor activities.
- In conclusion, Siargao is a paradise for nature lovers, beach bums, and adventurers. With its stunning beaches, world-class surf breaks, and natural wonders, Siargao is a destination that should not be missed. With this travel guide, you can now plan your trip to Siargao and make the most out of your stay on the island.